USA Swimming Coach Requirements for Membership Renewal
Coaches with questions regarding membership and registration should contact their club's CSI Registrar.
Coaches who are new to CT Swimming should start on the New Coach Membership page to access the new member application.
- Dry land coaches, please visit Other Membership page.
- Download USA Swimming Coach Membership Checklist
- Visit New Coach Membership page to access the new member application.
- Virtual coach cards are now available on www.usaswimming.org through a Deck Pass account. Instructions.
Each renewing coach must submit all items listed below:
- Online USA Swimming Non-Athlete RENEWAL Application. Login to Coach My Account required.
- Payment of $75 per individual. Online payment by credit card is preferred; should you wish to pay by check, please contact the CT Swimming Registrar for your club.
- Copies of coach certifications may be sent by email attachment to your club's registrar, or faxed to 1-866-238-8660. If sending copies of wallet cards, please send copies of both the front and back of the certification card.
- Acceptable Safety Courses: CPR and Swim Coaches Safety Training
- Foundations Coaching Tests (Coach Education Requirement)
- USA Swimming Background Check
- USA Swimming Athlete Protection Test
CSI coaches must renew their annual USA Swimming membership and submit payment.
- Log into your Connecticut FAST Coach My Account and complete the CSI online USA Swimming Non-Athlete RENEWAL Application and click "Submit." You will be automatically routed to the Connecticut Swimming credit card payment site, or provided the opportunity to describe an alternate payment method. When paying by credit card, you will receive an email confirmation of payment. Please keep this for your records.
- If you wish to pay by check please mail a check payable to CT Swimming to your CSI Registrar. Please note that CSI Registrars are volunteers and their street addresses are not published on this website. Please email your CSI Registrar and request their mailing address. Write on the check memo "USA Swimming registration" and the date you complete the online application.
- You will not be registered until both the application and payment are received. Please allow one business day for your application to be processed.
- For renewing coaches: If your background check expires in the next few months or has expired, complete the USA Swimming Background Check.
- For renewing second-year coaches: You must pass Foundations of Coaching 201 and Rules and Regulations before renewing for your second year as a coach.
- Payments are made by credit card: MasterCard or VISA. Debit cards may be used if they do not require entering a PIN number.
- If you skip either the application or payment, your registration will be dropped and you will not be registered.
- You will receive an email confirmation of payment. Please keep this for your records.
- Allow up to 3-4 weeks for the background check to clear. There is NO grace period with regard to background checks. NOTE: Coach cards will be held if credentials are expired or incomplete. Coaches will receive a coach card when all requirements are met.
Background Screening: All coaches, new or renewing, must have a current USA Swimming Level II background check. Please read details and instructions.
Athlete Protection Test: All non-athlete members of USA Swimming will be required to complete the Athlete Protection Test (APT) as a condition of membership. You MUST register before proceeding with the APT, as you will need your USA Swimming ID number. Your APT will expire every 2 years on December 31.
USA Swimming Foundations of Coaching and Rules & Regulations Test: Prior to becoming a USA Swimming member coach for the first time, a coach is required to successfully complete the online course, Foundations of Coaching 101. Before registering to be a coach member the 2nd year, the coach must successfully complete the two-part Foundations of Coaching 201 course. (Effective February 4, 2013). Frequently Asked Questions ›
Safety Course Credentials (Fact Sheet): All coaches must submit current credentials to the registrar. These include CPR, First Aid, and Swim Coaches Safety Training. If your course was conducted by the American Red Cross, you now have access to an electronic certificate as soon as your instructor enters the information into the ARC System. To access your electronic certification, log in here.
Coaches may complete the Swim Coaches Safety Training in 1 of 3 ways. The options are (select one):
- Complete and pass a USA Swimming accepted Life Guard class (refer to this list) AND take and pass the online American Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches test. Instructions are here, starting on page two. You must then submit the Red Cross certificate stating you passed the test and your current Life Guarding certification to the CT Swimming Registrar for your club;
- Complete and pass the American Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches class, which includes both written and “in the pool” components, as described here;
- Complete and pass the online American Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches test. Instructions are here, starting on page two. Then, find a certified lifeguard instructor from one of the organizations listed on the STSC In-Water Skills Checklist and arrange a time to meet the instructor at a pool. Take a copy of the ARC STSC Online Content Only certificate and the STSC In-Water Skills Checklist with you. Review and demonstrate the skills on the checklist with the instructor; have the instructor sign the checklist. You need to sign it as well. After completing the skills session, send the ARC STSC Online Content Only certificate AND the STSC In-Water Skills Checklist to your LSC registrar. Your STSC credential will be valid for two years.