USA Swimming Coach Requirements for Membership Renewal
ALL ATHLETE REGISTRATIONS ARE PROCESSED DIRECTLY WITH USA SWIMMING VIA SWIMS 3.0 or THRU TEAM BULK RENEWAL. CHECK THE MEMBERSHIP PAGE FOR DETAILS.
- Coaches new to USA/CT Swimming those who have never logged into SWIMS should start by creating a login for SWIMS 3.0 with a link from their respective clubs.
- If you wish to register as Unattached-CT, contact the Central Office.
- ALL coaches should note that USA Swimming requires many types of certifications from its coaches, and that ALL requirements must be met before a coach will be allowed on deck.
- Requirements checklist.
- List of approved courses.
- Dry land coaches, please visit Other Membership page.
- Virtual coach cards are now available through the USA Swimming App. Use the same login as your SWIMS 3.0 login.
Each new & renewing coach must have all items below:
Check your local chapter of the Red Cross for CPR and In-water Safety Training. All other courses can be accessed through SWIMS 3.0.
- Acceptable Safety Courses: CPR, In-Water Safety Training (lifeguarding) and on-line Coaches Safety Training
- These certificates must be sent to your respective LSC registrar for updating your SWIMS 3.0 account
- Quality Coaching Framework - only required for new coaches until 9/1/24 (or USA Swim tells us otherwise)
- Welcome to USA Swimming - only required for new coaches until 9/1/24 (or USA Swim tells us otherwise)
- USA Swimming Background Check
- USA Swimming Athlete Protection Test
- USA Swimming USADA Coaching Advantage Tutorial
- The previous 4 courses are updated automatically in SWIMS 3.0
- Concussion Protocol Training certificate
- These certificates must be sent to your respective LSC registrar for updating your SWIMS 3.0 account.
Background Screening: All coaches, new or renewing, must have a current USA Swimming Level II background check.
Athlete Protection Test: All non-athlete members of USA Swimming will be required to complete the Athlete Protection Test (APT) annually as a condition of membership. You MUST register before proceeding with the APT, as you will need your USA Swimming ID number. To download your certificate and check your Safe Sport transcript, checkout the CSI Safe Sport page.
USADA Coaching Advantage Tutorial: This 20-30 minute video course was added following discussions with the Age Group Anti-Doping Task Force and will be available on the LEARN platform, covering WADA code, checking medications, the testing process and a coach’s role in the clean sport movement. The latter is an incredibly significant element of the training that is crucial at all age levels. Renewal date for this course will be one year from completion date.
Safety Course Credentials: All coaches must submit current credentials to the registrar. These include CPR, First Aid, and Swim Coaches Safety Training. If your course was conducted by the American Red Cross, you now have access to an electronic certificate as soon as your instructor enters the information into the ARC System. To access your electronic certification, log in here.
Coaches may complete the Swim Coaches Safety Training in 1 of 3 ways as described here.
Concussion Protocol Training - This requirement is new for all coaches and officials in 2020. USA Swimming will now require all coaches and officials complete Concussion Protocol Training by January 1, 2020.
- Courses from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), as well as individual states’ required courses will satisfy the USA Swimming requirement. Therefore, if you are a high school coach, you may have already completed the NFHS training.
- For USA Swimming membership, coaches and officials must successfully complete concussion and head injury education at least once.
- This requirement is necessary to avoid personal liability for concussion/head strike incidents, ensuring our insurers will continue to provide liability insurance protection to USA Swimming, coaches, officials and clubs. Please direct questions about Concussion Protocol Training to George Ward at email@example.com.
USA Swimming Quality of Coaching Framework and Welcome to USA Swimming: These course for now are required for any coach who DOES NOT have the "old" Foundation of Coaching Courses or were grandfathered in prior to 1998. 9/1/24 or whenever USA Swimming decides, all coaches will need these courses.
Coach Membership - USA Swimming Coaches from outside Connecticut
Coaches with valid USA Swimming coaches' credentials need only transfer their registration to CT Swimming. You do this for yourself through SWIMS 3.0. Inform a registrar and they will then approve.