Open Water Championship
2019 Eastern Zone Open Water Championship and Connecticut Swimming Dave Parcels Open Water Festival
Hosted by Shoreline Aquatic Club. Jen Lyman, Meet Director
- Full results revised July 10, 2019
- LSC Team Men Scoring revised July 10, 2019
- LSC Team Women Scoring revised July 10, 2019
- LSC Team Scoring revised July 10, 2019
Looking forward to race day! We have over 70 teams participating, representing 13 LSCs. There are over 600 swimmers entered to compete on Saturday, June 29th. Please see below for some highlights from the meet announcement. Also, please find attached the Entry List. Please let me know by Thursday, June 20th, if there are any issues. Registration has CLOSED. If payment hasn't already been mailed out please bring it to race day and hand it into one of the registration tables. Light concessions will be available for purchase on race day. Please follow the attached CHECK-IN procedure for race day.
Please remind parents, spectator’s and supporters:
Meet Management may restrict access to specific competition areas; including the start, competition course, and finish areas. Only athletes, coaches, officials, and official meet staff actively participating in the Meet shall be permitted in these areas. All coaches must present a valid USA Swimming Coach Card to the Meet Director prior to the commencement of any sanctioned swim meet, and must have this card with them to enter restricted areas of the race venue. EZ-Up Tents and chairs are allowed in grass areas by the pavilion.
The Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP)
USA Swimming member clubs and LSCs are required to implement the Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy in full. The Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy must be reviewed and agreed to in writing by all athletes, parents, coaches, and other non-athlete members of member clubs on an annual basis with such written agreement to be retained by the club.
Highlights from meet announcement:
- 5K CHECK-IN will open at 5:30am and close at 6:30am. (participation will be revoked without refund if late to CHECK-IN)
- 5K Pre-Race briefing Mandatory meeting will be held at 7:00am outside the entry to the race course
- 2.5K and Mini Mile CHECK-IN will open at 6:00am and close at 7:30am. (participation will be revoked without refund if late to CHECK-IN)
- 2.5K and Mini-Mile Pre-Race briefing Mandatory meeting will be held at 8:00am outside the entry to the race course
- Any swimmer coming without a coach will be assigned to the Hall of Fame Open Water Swimmer, and Coach, Marcy MacDonald. Please look for the LEHY banner on the picnic tables in the pavilion to find her.
- Please use the attached CHECK-IN Procedure
- Warm-up will be available on the portion of the race course closest to the finish area, between 6:00am-7:20am ONLY. Warm-up swimmers will be allowed to swim out to the first turn buoy and then turn clockwise. The full course is NOT open in warm-up.
- Quassy Amusement Park Discounted Ride Ticket Code is: SWIM2019
- This is an open water freshwater lake swim. The weather and water conditions are unpredictable; please use good judgement if you are uncertain about swimming in open water. The course is set, however, the race committee reserves the right to change the configuration and/or direction of each event due to race day conditions. The details of race with landmarks are attached.
- All swimmers who do not complete the course during the allotted time limit may be asked to retire from the race. Swimmers must finish within approximately 30 mins of the first finisher for the 2.5K and 5K.
- NO ON-SITE OR SAME DAY MEMBERSHIP REGISTRATION WILL BE PERMITTED
- Meet Referee: Mike Huffman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer Open Water Officials are welcome and encouraged to officiate. To sign-up please use the link below: https://fast.ctswim.org/CTNet/CFPaintForm.aspx?f=181
Schedules and wave assignments (Changed from the original published meet announcement. Please see changes below)
5K Championship (Eastern Zone National Selection Event)
Wave 1: 7:30 am – Male Swimmers
Wave 2: 7:35 am – Female Swimmers
750 Mini Championship
Wave 1: 9:00 am - Female Ages 12 and Under
Wave 2: 9:15 am - Male Ages 12 and Under
2.5K EZ Championship and CT Championship
Wave 1: 9:45 am – Male Swimmers Ages 15 to 29
Wave 2: 9:55 am – Female Swimmers Ages 15 to 29
Wave 3: 10:05 am – Female Swimmers Ages 11 to 14
Wave 4: 10:15 am – Male Swimmers Ages 11 to 14
Wave 5: 10:20 am – Female & Male Swimmers Ages 30 +
Awards for Eastern Zone Selection Events: Shall be the same as those used in the Eastern Zone Pool Championships.
- Medals will be awarded to individuals placing 1st through 8th places
- A championship banner will be awarded to the winning Girls', Boys' and Overall EZ OWS Champion teams. This is a traveling award which will be comparable to the “Pool” one provided by the EZ.
Mini Championship Awards: Top three Male and Female in the following age groups (10 & under, 11-12)
2.5K Awards: 1st- 3rd Place Male and Female in each of the following age groups (11-12, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18)
CT Swimming Championship Awards: Team Awards for the CT LSC will be presented to the top Male, Female, and Combined Team scores.
QUALIFICATION OF NATIONAL LEVEL EVENTS (Age will be defined by the athlete’s age as of December 31, 2020)
2020 Open Water Nationals 5K Qualification:
Finish in the top 3 at a 2019-2020 USA Swimming Open Water Zone Championship (in the open age group)
2020 Open Water Junior Nationals:
The Zone Championship Qualifying period is April 1, 2019 - March 31, 2020. A Zone may send 5 athletes of each gender to the 7.5K Junior National Championships and 5 athletes of each gender to the 5K Junior National Championships.
7.5K Qualification (16-17 Age Group):
Finished in top 5 in the 15-16 Age Group at a 2019-2020 USA Swimming Open Water Zone Championship (5K or greater)
5K Qualification (14-15 Age Group):
Finished in the top 5 in the 13-14 Age Group at the 2019-2020 USA Swimming Open Water Zone Championship (2.5K or greater)