Connecticut Swimming Response to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
IMPORTANT ACTION ITEMS AND RESOURCES ANNOUNCED AT THE TEAM TOWN MEETING
IMPORTANT! Share Your Voice!
By Jason Paige, RYWC, CSI Senior Committee Chair
- Please take a moment to reach out to the Governor Lamont’s office and express how essential swimming is to you and your family. There is the potential that pools will not be permitted to reopen here in CT unless we can draw more attention to how swimming is of great need to every community.
- Read this to learn more: Share Your Voice
- Send the Governor’s office a message to share why we need pools reopened.
- Reopen Connecticut Advisory Group is a “Panel of Local Health, Business, Workforce, and Education Experts Will Provide Recommendations to the Lamont Administration and Legislative Leaders on COVID-19 Strategy." Start networking -- review the list of panel members for contacts you may know. Share the names with others.
Sign Reopen Connecticut Pools petition.
USA Swimming and Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Updated 05.28.20: USA Swimming Return to Competition Roadmap and June Event Sanctions
- Updated 05.28.20: USA Swimming Targeted Event Schedule for 2020-2021
- Updated 05.28.20: USA Swimming Community Quarantine Resources
- USA Swimming Facility Reopening Plan Guidelines
- CDC_Considerations for Public Pools, Hot Tubs, and Water Playgrounds During COVID-19
- CDC_Water and COVID-19 FAQs
- USA Swimming Membership Resources during Quarantine
- USA Swimming Recovery Plan and Relief Grants
- USA Swimming Coronovirus Resources
Webinar The THEN and NOW of Pool Operation and Programming Adaptations presented by Mick and Sue Nelson.
Open Water Swimming: Safety and Training
- Contact: Kaitlin Pawlowicz, USA Swimming Open Water Development Coordinator
- USA Swimming Safety Management for Open Water Workouts
- USA Swimming Structuring Your Open Water Workout
American Red Cross (ARC) Updated Protocol During Covid-19
- ARC Scientific Advisory Council Answers Regarding COVID-19 and Aquatics
- Cardiac Arrest and Pandemic Response
May 11 Update: Team Town Hall Meeting Notice. The meeting will be held Thursday, May 14 at 7:30 pm.
April 21 Update: Letter from General Chair Ellen Johnston regarding the 2020 Long Course Meet Schedule.
April 13 Update: Letter from General Chair Ellen Johnston regarding Phase 1 of CT Swimming Stimulus Program. Phase 1 includes:
- Immediate House of Delegates Meeting refund to teams in the amount of $200 regardless of attendance.
- Eligible CSI coaches will receive a CT Swimming Grant of $200.
- Due to USA Swimming’s insurance coverage of virtual training led by a coach limited to a 1:8 ratio, CT Swimming will provide up to $400 to enable clubs to purchase Club Liability Insurance to cover virtual/remote/online dryland training.
April 8 Update: Below are links to relief and loan programs offered to small businesses.
- Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
- U.S. Senate Small Business Owner’s Guide
- Government Response to Covid-19
- FEMA Public Assistance Program
- Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility (TALF)
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employer Paid Leave Requirements | U.S. Department of Labor\
March 29 Update: Draft minutes from Board of Directors meeting held on March 26.
March 25 Update: Letter to CSI membership from General Chair Ellen Johnston.
March 17 Update: USA Swimming has cancelled all meets nationwide until April 30.
March 13, 6:30am Update: It has come to our attention that a spectator has tested positive for COVID-19 who was in attendance at the SOCO Age Group Invitational, March 6-8, at Southern CT State University. The infected person was at Saturday finals only and it was for approximately 15 minutes. If you were in attendance, please monitor yourself carefully, follow the guidelines from the CDC and call your family physician with any questions. At CT Swimming the health and safety of our community is our top priority. Thank you for your cooperation during these uncertain times.
March 12, 3:25pm: USA Swimming strongly recommends all LSCs cancel sanctioned meets for 30 day. CT Swimming will follow this recommendation and all meets are cancelled, effective immediately, for the next 30 days.
March 11, 3:35pm: CT Swimming and Chelsea Piers have continued to monitor the latest recommendations from local and state leaders in response to the spread of COVID-19 in Connecticut. In response to the latest recommendation from the CDC, WHO and government officials on large group events, CT Swimming and Chelsea Piers have made the decision to cancel the 2020 Connecticut Swimming Short Course Age Group Championships this upcoming weekend, which draws over 1,200 athletes, coaches, spectators and additional volunteers from across Connecticut. Please note that all splash fees will be refunded by CT Swimming.
We thank everyone for their patience as we went through this process, it was a difficult decision that was not made lightly.
Anyone who made a reservation at the Stamford Sheraton has until 6:00pm to cancel their reservation without penalty.
Information will be distributed in the next 24 hours regarding pick up/drop off as soon as Chelsea Piers works through the logistics.
Thank you for your patience as we navigate uncharted territory.
Please continue to check for updates.
- As of now, the AG Championship will run as scheduled. Continue to check for updates.
- CSI is aware of the unfortunate cancellation of the pending CIAC meets. After much discussion, it was decided that CSI cannot accommodate any additional entries.
- Meet management continues to plan and work out the logistics to make this the best possible championship it can be under the circumstances.
- CSI is will continue to stay on top of information released by the venue, local and federal governments.
- The safety of our membership is of the utmost importance. All decisions and planning are with that forefront in our minds.
- Updates will be posted on ctswim.org.
03.06.20 Update to Connecticut Swimming Response to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19): Below is a summary of venues and their COVID-19 statements for the remainder of March CSI sanctioned meets.
Wesleyan University (Senior Invite currently in progress; WHAT March 12-15; RYWC March 20-22)
Contact: Rachel Ludwig firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Link: https://www.wesleyan.edu/healthservices/coronavirus/https://www.wesleyan.edu/healthservices/coronavirus/
Events Wesleyan will cancel visits by guests from abroad and/or states that have declared emergencies related to COVID-19.
Notes: Wesleyan University has informed CSI that swimmers from states that have COVID-19 declared emergencies will not be permitted on Wesleyan's campus. Wesleyan University has also notified Meet Directors.
03.05.20 Connecticut Swimming Response to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19): Connecticut Swimming (CSI) continues to monitor the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and will utilize the recommendations and guidance of government agencies and public health departments in responding to situations for the meets hosted by the Local Swim Committee. As of now, CSI will host its normal schedule of events. Any changes to meet schedules will be communicated by meet leadership. CSI will take the appropriate precautions recommended by the State of Connecticut and Centers for Disease Control to ensure the safety of our athletes and spectators. Similarly, safety measures at swim meets will follow the practices implemented by the organizations responsible for the facility and as directed by the local health agency. Safety of our athletes and all meet participants is, as always, a priority. The latest information about COVID-19, including prevention & treatment guidance, can be found at: