Coach Membership - New to USA Swimming
Coaches new to USA/CT Swimming should start by creating a login for SWIMS 3.0 with a link from their respective clubs. If UN, contact the Central Office. New coaches should note that USA Swimming requires many types of certifications from its coaches, and that ALL requirements must be met before a coach will be allowed on deck. A requirements checklist, including links to complete each step, can be found here.
Each coach must submit all items listed below:
- Fill out a membership application in SWIMS 3.0
- Payment for individual membership
- Once you create a login/account and pay, you should see what requirements you need on your dashboard in SWIMS 3.0. Some of these course you complete through USA Swimming - SWIMS 3.0, some are Red Cross or from an outside entity. These include the following.
- Athlete Protection Test (APT), Background Check, Foundations of Coaching Tests (FOC), USADA Coaching Advantage Tutorial - These tests are available through USA Swimming - SWIMS 3.0. They should show on your dashboard. If not, try clicking "General Info">"Requirements" in the "My Account" box on the right.
- CPR and Safety certifications may be obtained through the Red Cross and the cert emailed as an attachment to your club's CSI Registrar. Course certificates are preferred, but certification cards and course record sheets are also acceptable. Be sure to include both the front and back of the certification card.
- Concussion Protocol Training - Courses from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), as well as individual states’ required courses will satisfy the USA Swimming requirement. Therefore, if you are a high school coach, you may have already completed the NFHS training. For USA Swimming membership, coaches and officials must successfully complete concussion and head injury education at least once. Courses may be accessed at
- This requirement is necessary to avoid personal liability for concussion/head strike incidents, ensuring our insurers will continue to provide liability insurance protection to USA Swimming, coaches, officials and clubs. Please direct questions about Concussion Protocol Training to George Ward at email@example.com
Once your certifications are complete, you will be able to access a virtual membership card through SWIMS 3.0.
Coaches with questions regarding membership and registration should contact their club's CSI Registrar.
Coach Membership - USA Swimming Coaches from outside Connecticut
Coaches with valid USA Swimming coaches credentials need only transfer their registration to CT Swimming. You do this for yourself through SWIMS 3.0. Inform a registrar and they will then approve.