Coach Membership - New to USA Swimming
Coaches new to USA/CT Swimming should start by filling out the online membership application form, and submitting the registration payment. New coaches should note that USA Swimming requires many types of certifications from its coaches, and that ALL requirements must be met before a coach will be allowed on deck. Acceptable courses fulfilling these requirements are listed here: USA Swimming Coach Membership Requirements.
Each coach must submit all items listed below:
- Online USA Swimming Non-Athlete Application
- $78 payment for individual membership
- Within two days of submitting your application and payment, you will receive an automated email from USA Swimming including your USA Swimming ID number. Once you have received this, you may complete the USA Swimming Athlete Protection Test and the USADA Coaching Advantage Tutorial - These tests are unavailable until your membership application has been processed; please wait for the email with your USA ID.
- USA Swimming Background Check. An application for this background check may be completed at any time; you need not wait for your USA ID. Please note that this takes at least a few days, and you must not only apply for, but pass, the check prior to being on deck.
- CPR and Safety certifications may be emailed as an attachment to your club's CSI Registrar. Course certificates are preferred, but certification cards and course record sheets are also acceptable. Be sure to include both the front and back of the certification card.
- Foundations of Coaching Test and Rules and Regulations (Coach Education Requirement).
Concussion Protocol Training - This requirement is new for all coaches and officials in 2020. USA Swimming will now require all coaches and officials complete Concussion Protocol Training by January 1, 2020.
- Courses from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), as well as individual states’ required courses will satisfy the USA Swimming requirement. Therefore, if you are a high school coach, you may have already completed the NFHS training.
- For USA Swimming membership, coaches and officials must successfully complete concussion and head injury education at least once. Courses may be accessed at
- This requirement is necessary to avoid personal liability for concussion/head strike incidents, ensuring our insurers will continue to provide liability insurance protection to USA Swimming, coaches, officials and clubs. Please direct questions about Concussion Protocol Training to George Ward at email@example.com.
Coaches with questions regarding membership and registration should contact their club's CSI Registrar.
Coach Membership - USA Swimming Coaches from outside Connecticut
Coaches with valid USA Swimming coaches credentials need only transfer their registration to CT Swimming. Please fill out the online Transfer/Release Form.